Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Maybe We Should Build An Ark

My sweet little Cloie, oh my sweet little girl. NOT! This is the second time she has flooded the bathroom. Yesterday I fed the kids peanut butter and jelly and then told them to wash up in the bathroom while I was feeding the baby. They did and then we left to take Keagan to school. We were gone maybe 30 minutes and I came home to water flowing out of the bathroom sink. It had reached the Kitchen table and the refrigerator. She had plugged the sink and left the hot water running and shut the door. I quickly called Mike and in a panic I asked him how to switch the shop vac to suck up water (I just had to take off the filter.)as the kids began to splash in the puddles and I'm yelling for them to go upstairs. I put Kyler and Cloie down for a nap and Anika just had to cry. She wanted to be held and she could probably feel the stress in the air. I started vacuuming up the water. I was thinking "This is not working! The water is not going away." Then the shop vac started to sound different and I realized that it was full. I used every towel (OK not every towel just 19 of them) in the house and I emptied the shop vac twice and it has a 12 gallon bucket. Turns out that all of our sinks do not have those little holes at the top that are for draining in this situation. Our carpet is still drying. It soaked three feet into the living room all the way under the stairs closet and a little bit of the sitting room. I hope we don't have any rot or mildew problems. I was still cleaning up when Mike came home all stressed out an hour early. The whole time I was telling myself, "It could have been worse. It could have been worse." Mike thought it was worse. He thought that I was talking about the upstairs bathroom. Can you imagine!! Nate and Sarah had their basement flood with feet of water last February and I was thinking of them as I was cleaning up my inches of water. We can be thankful that most everything in the closet was in buckets or on a shelf and nothing important was damaged. Some of our 72 hour kit stuff was wet, but now we know that we need to put the oatmeal and hot chocolate packets in baggies in case we have a real natural disaster. So what do you think, should I build an ark? I can't believe I didn't hear the water running.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

oh...I'm so so sorry. What a crazy and absolutely stressful afternoon!!!

The Sadlers said...

Wow...don't feel too bad. I did that in our new house in Millville with the laundry sick...upstairs. It ruined the ceiling for our down stairs family room and we had to fix the whole ceiling. So...yes it could have been worse. Hopefully it was a good learning moment...lol...just kidding. Really I am sorry... ;-)

Becky, Matt And Colton said...

I'm sorry, sounds like a bad afternoon. Remember I love ya!

Natalie Lundberg said...

How stressful! I don't know how you kept it together. Hope things "dry up" for you soon!